WHAT IS THIS WORKSHOP ABOUT?
Developers attending this workshop will learn everything that is needed to go from not doing monitoring at all to having a solid understanding of how to setup metrics collection and tracing in any JVM application using Kamon. Throughout the workshop we will take a Play! + Akka application and study how they work under the hood, understand the key elements that should be monitored and ensure that all our precious metrics data is properly delivered to a few of the supported metric backends.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
INTRODUCTION TO MONITORING WITH KAMON
- Understanding what Kamon is and what it brings to the table.
- Comparing Kamon with other monitoring libraries.
- Simple and plain metrics collection.
- Using the tracer API.
- Instrumentation and reporting modules’ basics.
PEEKING INSIDE THE MONSTER
- Anathomy of Play applications and Actor Systems.
- Getting HTTP, actors, routers and dispatcher metrics.
- Analyzing JVM metrics and hiccups.
- Customizing the instrumentation.
- Setting up distributed tracing.
REPORTERS AND PRETTY CHARTS
- Setting up open source and commercial reporting solutions (StatsD + Grafana, Datadog and Kamino)
- Advice and best practices for alerting and dashboard design.
- Guided walk through the most common crash scenarios and how to detect them.
TAKE IT HOME
- Open space for questions specific to your application monitoring needs and how to effectively monitor them with Kamon.
WHO SHOULD COME?
If you have any piece of software running on production (or soon to be running) this workshop is for you! Attendants should have experience with JVM languages (Java/Scala preferred), experience using Play Framework and Akka is not required but will definitely make it easier for you.
November 23 @ 09:00
The Best Western Premier Hotel Slon